I don’t feel exposed any more!

As you know the cypress trees where ripped out on Sunday, and then we felt very exposed to the elements for several days. The wind whizzed across the field, and even the chickens found it rather chilly, as they puffed their feathers up. A little electric fence was put up to stop the horses from venturing into our garden, and I’m very pleased to say it worked. But today was the day where our new fence would go up.

Before the men arrived this morning, I went and turned off the electric fence from the battery. I was hoping I’d done it right, and I had. I didn’t want to electrocute either myself, or the guys coming to do my fence. That would not have been a very good start. Since the trees came out, the garden has been a bit of a mess. Well, there was no point me tidying the end of the garden, because I didn’t know what mess the fence men were going to make.

Here is a quick reminder of how my garden looked this morning.IMG_4306

But today our wonderful fencing guys came round to give us back our privacy. They arrived a little after 8.30am, all ready for a hard days work. And boy did they work. They told me what they were going to do, and then they just got on with it. There were only 2 guys, but it was like they had a whole army working on our fence. I supplied them with drink, and homemade ginger biscuits, and they worked solidly until they were done.

They had all sorts of tools with them, some noisy, some quiet. They parked in the field behind, so the horses weren’t allowed to come out and play today. By 11 o’clock this is how far they’d got..



They didn’t even stop for lunch, they just worked straight through until they’d finished. I just got on with what I need to do inside the house, and if they needed anything they just called. They didn’t even use the loo! No they didn’t pee in the field, well I don’t think they did. I was writing in the office, and every time I glanced up, I saw that more fencing had gone up. They finished a little after 2pm, and cleared away all their belongings, and even filled in any gaps at the back of the garden with soil they found, and raked level the end of the garden.

This is what it looked like when they’d finished.IMG_4308


Thank you so much Steve and your mate from Firwood Fencing. You were amazing! They’re a very small company just these 2 guys, but they’re brilliant, friendly and very professional.

Now I’ll let the ground settle, and then sort out the chickens new shed and my greenhouses.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to I don’t feel exposed any more!

  1. colorhound says:

    Looks fantastic.

  2. mferland1 says:

    I agree, it looks great and the best part is you now have a blank canvas to get moving on, no Ivy to sort out first, etc… Can’t wait to see what comes next. Have fun.

  3. NebraskaDave says:

    Claire, what kind of wood is the fence? Do you have to prime and paint it? Really looks nice. I hope it last for many years. Now you can be getting on with the rest of the garden area.

    Have a great day chicken shed and green house day.

    • I don’t know what the wood is, but it’s very good quality and from a local supplier. The wood has been treated, so I don’t have to do it myself, which is very handy. It should last for a very long time, especially with the concrete posts, which apparently have a guarantee of 25 years.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s