Monday 28th July 2014 – Oh I do like to be beside the seaside….

There are two things that the British do better than anyone else: 1- Queuing, we do like a good queue, and know how to behave in one. And 2- Enjoy our selves on the beach what ever the weather. Today myself, Emily, George, my sister Michelle and her youngest Sam we all went to the seaside. We’d spoken about this last week, but as Sam broke up from school later than my two we waited til this week instead of going last week. Now me being horribly organised, I checked the tide times at West Wittering beach to make sure that we were on the beach when the sea was going out and not coming in. The day started rather oddly. I was woken up just before 7am by torrential rain and thunder, not very good beach weather at all. But I checked the weather where we were going and it looked ok for the time we’d planned to be on the beach. The rain stopped after about and hour, but we were still planning on going ahead with our little trip. I picked Michelle and Sam up just after 10am, and we firstly drove to Petworth House and Park. Michelle is also a National Trust member, so it was great that we could all get in for free. On the drive down the weather was dry…ish. We had a few spots of rain, but nothing major. But when we arrived at Petworth, the heavens opened, so on went the water proofs, and we headed straight into the house, which was dry. After we’d had a good old nose around, it was lunch time, so we sat under a tree on a fairly dry bench and ate our picnic lunch. The sun had come out now, and the sky was blue, so we were optimistic about the rest of the day. It wasn’t completely dry under the tree, because every time the wind blew the leaves dripped blobs of water on us, but we didn’t mind, because we’re British and we don’t mind a bit of rain, we get so much of it anyway.

Picnic lunch under the tree at Petworth.

Picnic lunch under the tree at Petworth.

After we’d eaten loads, we then go back in the car and headed for the seaside. The sky ahead was blue, so we were all very happy. We did take a bit of a detour, as the postcode on the beach website was wrong (either that or I put the wrong one in), so we turned round and headed in the right direction. But we finally arrived at the seaside. As we were walking to the beach with our chairs, rug, bags, and fishing net (George wanted to catch a jelly fish, don’t ask). I asked Michelle which is the boys would be the first in the sea. This we couldn’t decided. But when we’d set everything up, I rushed down for a quick paddle. So I was the first one in (only up to my ankles, but that still counts). Once the boys had got changed they were straight in, and disappeared for ages. The sea is so shallow and you have to go out for miles to be even up to your knees, and also there’s no under current, so we weren’t worried and knew they’d stay together.

Off they go into the sea...don't get too cold.

Off they go into the sea…don’t get too cold.

Later on Emily went in, and Michelle also had a paddle, so we all got to have a go in the sea. After we’d been on the beach for about an hour and a half, rain started. It wasn’t heavy and we saw it coming. Michelle and I tried to blow it away, but we didn’t succeed. About three quarters of the people on the beach left. Emily went to the car to get the umbrellas, so we sat on our chairs huddled under the brollies and waited for it to pass. It didn’t last long, and then the sun came out again. So play resumed and the kids were back in the water. Michelle bought us all and ice cream, which was fabulous, so we all sat and tried not to get sand in our treats.

Yummy lollies and ice creams, thank you Michelle!

Yummy lollies and ice creams, thank you Michelle!

We finally left about 6pm, and just as we did the grey sky dropped loads of rain down, so we got back in the car at the perfect time. The journey home was very easy, and the kids were very quiet, I think we’d worn them out. Sam fell asleep for most of the journey. Once we’d dropped Michelle and Sam off at home the kids and I got take out Fish and Chips (well it has to be done after a day at the beach) and also took some home for Mark. As the kids didn’t have any shoes on I had to leave them in the car when I got the fish and chips, but as I couldn’t see them I locked them in the car, but the alarm was still on, and they set it off. Emily sent me a text to let me know and I told them to sit very still otherwise it would happen again. Emily’s reply was “Sitting still sucks!” Once we got home, had eaten our Fish and Chips, we all had a shower. Sand gets everywhere!! And then it was off to bed. We were all very tired after such a wonderful day. We’ll have to do that again soon, it’s been a while since I’ve gone out for the day with my sister.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s