I was on my plot this morning for about 2 and a half hours, before I had to be somewhere else about 1pm. Still even in that short time, I got a huge amount done. The aim of today was to see how much of the bed at the end I could get done. Last year I’d grown a load of Sprouting Broccoli in part of that bed, and the other half was where I dumped a load of manure. The grass seemed to enjoy the manure, as there were lots of large clumps that had grown. They were very easy to remove, as was a large stinging nettle plant that was growing in the corner. There were loads of couch grass root under the soil, so I had to make sure that I removed all that I could see.
It took me all morning, and to be honest, I’m a little embarrassed about showing you the photo, but no one’s perfect all the time. I ended up with 4 wheel barrow loads of green waste, and I’ve still not quite finished, but I managed to get over three quarters done this morning. The rest I’ll finish off tomorrow.
With all the manure that’s in the soil, I think I’ll plant my Runner and French Beans in this bed this year. They’ll thoroughly enjoy all the extra oomph the manure has given the soil. Then just before I left, I had a little look to see how my seeds are growing. I noticed that the last lot of Radish seeds I’d sown last week have started to come through. I also harvested my first Radish which I’m very pleased about. I’ll give it a clean and have it with my lunch tomorrow.