Monday 11th March 2013 – What is going on with the weather?

Can anyone answer this question for me? Last Tuesday was 16.5 degrees, and I was wishing that I had my shorts on when I was down the allotment, and this morning we woke up to a sprinkling of snow and the temperature is 1 degree, and thermals are needed, and we keep getting snow flurries. Was last week our summer in just one day and now it’s back to winter again?

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Monday 11th March 2013 – What is going on with the weather?

1. lindasgarden says:

I am sure mother nature knows what she is doing even if we can not understand it at present

2. paul says:

Same here where is the mild winter gone , only planted Kelvedon Wonder peas monday good job i protected them we dont normally get all this snow here in south , so kitchin being a heated greenhouse at the moment
    Spring onions are taking thier time too even protected been 2 weeks now nothing

3. Claire, I was thinking the same thing as you! It’s hard not to, after the terrible summer last year.

4. Andreae says:

Sounds like you’ve been magically transported to Newfoundland. Our springs are always like that, see-sawing back and forth between t-shirt weather and flurries. The clothing shops even have sales saying things like, “Come celebrate fake spring with a new skirt – or a sweater!” I’ve accidentally killed more tender plants than I care to think about by falling for the promises of fake spring. I read a lot of UK gardening books and sites because your climate is closer to ours than Canada’s is, but I still have to add about a month on to all the dates. Our last average frost is June 5. June 5!

• Yesterday when I went out there was snow everywhere, and we’ve just had a little flurry now. It’s not settling and once the sun comes out it’s gone. But tonight it’s going to be about -4!! We had a really harsh wind the other day, and it felt like -10. some of my plants got burnt by the wind. Our last frost day is 31st May, so any tender plants don’t go out til 1st June. It’s ridiculous, oh how I long for a warmer climate.

5. stevemoulson says:

Hiya if last week was our summer well im buggered I haven’t grown anything yet,I knew I should of planted something . LOL

6. It’s Baltic here Claire. Really hoping for a good Easter.

7. robertburgess says:

Well Claire I was also working in my vest last week, today it started heavy snow drops about the size of a 2 pence piece and now it’s full sunshine and thawing like mad.

8. MarkB says:

Here in Massachusetts, US, I was working in the garden at this time last year. Now, it looks like at least a week and a half away to get the first seeds in. Please bring back global warming!