Monday 27th September 2010

Didn’t go to the allotment today as the weather wasn’t very inviting. Instead I spent the afternoon in the garden starting to tidy up after summer and getting the garden all ready for when autumn really sets in. I had a look at the sweet potatoes in the greenhouse, can’t wait to dig them up and find out which did better the ones in the greenhouse or the ones on the plot. Hopefully the weather will be more welcoming tomorrow. It’s been cold these last few days, and I’ve had to wear my thermal trousers. Very fetching.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Monday 27th September 2010

1. William Brown says:

Clair,
    I enjoy your videos. One bit of info that you may not know is how to grow your own sweet potato slips. Buy some sweet potatos that you like. Plant them on their side in some sawdust or compost about 4 inches deep. Do this 6-8 weeks before you want to plant your slips outside. The slips will grow from the potatos. They should be cheaper and better than what you buy. If you can find a local person who grows them, buy the potatos from him. Sometimes the potatos in the store has been sprayed with a retardent. Good luck,

WA Brown
    Kingstree,South Carolina, USA

2. William Brown says:

How did the fennel do? I am curious about that. We’ve never had them here.

• They were very good, but whilst I was on holiday they had a growth spurt and went to seed. I managed to use a few when I first got back. I’m still using them, but some parts are just too hard. I’ll try again next year. I’ve learnt a huge amount from growing them this year, so know what to look out for.

• William Brown says:

I have never seen one much less eat one! LOL!! I was thinking of trying them. Was hoping to see your video about harvesting them.

3. William Brown says:

Here is a video of me plowing my garden.

• Fennel taste wonderful. Raw they have a very strong aniseed flavour, but roasted it tones down a huge amount and is very sweet. I hope to catch them next year, then I can do a video. Enjoyed your film on ploughing, a real necessity when you have that much land.

4. William Brown says:

I am on this board and post quite often. This is what I posted today.

5. William Brown says:

Claire,
    How long did it take for the Fennel to get big enough to put in the garden from when you planted the seeds?

• It didn’t take too long, at a guess 8 weeks or so. I put them in when they were big enough to cope with the big wide world. I suppose they were about 4 – 5 inches tall. If you need to wait for frost to go check your last frost date for your area. The bigger they are the more likely they are to survive. If they look too big for the container they’re in they’ll need to go out.

6. Pingback: 2010 in review | Clairesallotment's Blog